Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Will the real Cesar please stand up!

I'm surprised how many Cesar Milan’s are giving advice. I actually read a post where the writer instructed the person posting the question to make that "Tsch" sound when correcting her dog.
I'm also surprised at the form of punishments dog owners will tell other dog owners to implement.
I'm going to say it right here, right now. Hitting or beating your dog will not do you any good. And no I'm not talking about a swat on the butt; I'm talking about physical abuse. The whole object of training is to have your dog listen to you out of respect not out of fear.
Please read and educate your self. Cesar Milan is an excellent reference but taking someone’s message to give an aggressive dog an Alpha Rollover when not having any experience to do so is absolutely idiotic! If you don't know what you're doing, you are going to get bit. Even the professionals get bit from time to time.
So my suggestion is to read, educate yourself, know your dog, and THEN if you're comfortable, implement what you have learned.
I actually read a post where the writer advised forgoing trainers if at all possible as they could learn everything they needed to know from books and not spend money needlessly.
I taught myself basic obedience training from books, I've attended obedience classes, and I work in the animal industry, and let me tell you I still refer to my vet and other professionals.
You should use these posts as ancillary information and not the end all be all. If you have any questions that you are not clear about, don't hesitate to go to your local vet and ask questions. Your vet should even have some reputable trainers to refer or good books to read.

Remember these basic things.
1. Your dog is a social animal and thrives on human contact.
2. Your dog wants to please you. It makes them happy.
3. Your dog wants to be a dog, not a human.
4. Educate your self on your dogs breed. Do your homework.
5. Exercise makes for a happy dog and a happy owner.

Training can be fun and establishes the bond between owner and dog. Take a basic obedience class you'll learn something and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment