Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Designer Dogs

I like to listen to pet owners talk about their Designer Dogs as if the dog has been around for hundreds of years. I giggle inside when they get red faced and aggravated when some one has the chutzpa to let them know that they have a mutt.
Having a mutt is great. In fact, they tend to be healthier and smarter in my opinion.

But to stand there and tell your fellow human that your Morike, Moodle, Shipoo, Schnoodle, Chi weenie, etc... are dogs worth $500.00 plus, you've just got to be plain CRAZY!
Love your dog. Love your dog with every bone in your body but don't try to tell me how expensive your dog is. At the end of the day your dog is a mix breed, a mutt, and a mongrel.

I think I get aggravated most with people who breed these dogs and want to charge an outrageous price to unsuspecting owners. Some of these dogs fetch a higher price than pedigreed dogs.
The same goes with Albino dogs or dogs without skin pigmentation. If you are selling White Dobermans, Rotweillers, etc... and telling people that the white color is rare and therefore cost more money PLEASE stop!
This is how a line becomes weak and you pass on the bad genes. Leave breeding to the professionals and to those who care about the breed. If you have a pup that does not fit the breed standards make sure that you spay or neuter the dog as soon as possible. It's called being responsible folks.

My groomer told me that she and her boyfriend were in a pet store looking at the designer breeds and thought they should take a Bull Terrier and a Shih-Tzu and call it a Bull Shit. I did get a laugh out of that!
That being said please do not get these two together, as it would make for one butt ugly dog.
Let me know what you think? Are these mixtures of breeds viable?

1 comment:

  1. I've written a lot about the proliferation of "oodles" that command very high prices among the naive. You're right. It's a fancy word for mutt.

    I love Bull Shit as a designer dog. I haven't heard that one.

    ReplyDelete